Monday, March 23, 2009

The Power of Words

The power of any individual's words can go a long way, changing the way listeners perceive one another. A broader use of vocabulary and choice of words defines the intelligence one posses. People begin to perceive you by what you say and the way you say it. We may all mean one thing, but the choice of words used makes it seem as though we meant another. A simple choice of words can cause complexity in a conversation by making it much more difficult or making it clearer. When we participate in coversations with other individuals we do not often think about the words we are using or how the other person may interpret the use of our words. Some may take it a completely different way than what you mean. Sometimes fewer words will cause the listening individual to draw his/her own conclusions on what was being talked about, but if more words and details are used assumptions do not need to be drawn because the information was given, not leaving the mind to ponder. It's hard for me to comprehend sometimes as to why others occasionally misinterpret what I am trying to say. I suppose indexing the comments and remarks I use will avoid any generalization from occuring, but it it much easier said than done. To have a conversation with another and simply trying to improve it, it is a task in itself. As a child we have never had to worry about the way we perceive anyone, our listening skills, or the words we use to converse with others. Trying to improve this is complex, I would really like to try and improve this, but how is this possible if I am thinking about correcting all these communication errors while communicating, I won't be communicating at all because I will have my focus on fixing my errors? I suppose it is just a change that will occur slowly over time as I become more knowledgeable of the things that will help my communication with others.

No comments:

Post a Comment